Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Hike



Yup! Another spectacular day in Colorado! I promised Hazel a fun hike because she sat home yesterday while I was out photographing. We had not been to Buttonrock since February, so it was time! With coffee in hand we jumped in the car and headed over. There's lots going on around here on Memorial day. There's the bolder boulder 10k race which attracts 50,000 people and also the boulder creek festival which is a three day event. So heading away from Boulder is the smart thing to do!

I didn't feel like lugging my camera on the hike today, so thought I'd just use my phone camera to give you a tour of Buttonrock! I also did some video which I hope actually works. I won't know until I publish the blog, so fingers crossed.

We were the second car in the parking lot...perfect! As you start up the road, dogs need to be on leash as a few people actually live back up in the hills, so they do drive on this dirt road.

check out the waterfall........




Listen to that!





It's just a 10 minute walk up the road to get to the sleepy lion trailhead.





Hazel was happy to be FREE to run!




The trail is steeper than it looks....




The trail goes upward with a few switchbacks before opening into this beautiful meadow!





New hiking shoes and very white legs.......this is as close as I get to doing a selfie.




Hall ranch is another trail that connects to Buttonrock. But Hazel was bummed to see that no dogs are allowed.....




This is the view you get when you reach the high point of the trail. That is Ralph Price reservoir and our ultimate destination....




It's all down hill for now...





This pic does not do justice to how beautiful these and other wildflowers are. So Hazel and I will go back with my real camera and get some flower pics soon!









good for doggies to get a drink too....




The sleepy lion trail ends at the bottom of the dam.....



Here's how the water level is regulated in the rez...



wow!





Yes, that is a steep climb to get up to the rez....




wildflowers!!!!





It's about a 10 minute uphill hike and this is the reward!



When Hazel and I go to Coot lake, the tennis ball is part of the fun. But when we go on other hikes, the tennis ball does not appear until we reach our destination. And yes, Hazel knows it's time for the ball!!!!





I found a comfortable rock to sit on and have breakfast while Hazel did some ball chasing...














After playing at the rez we took the road all the way back to the car. Now the parking lot was full with about 50 cars or so. This is why we always go early, especially on a holiday!
Thanks for reading! Hope you had a fun long weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment