Sunday, October 15, 2017

Checking Out Walden Ponds



  Well, time sure flies when you're having fun! As you may have noticed, it's been awhile since I did a blog. Hazel and I have done some fun hikes such as the BVR loop in Boulder and Button Rock. I have brought my camera along but haven't got any pics worth blogging about. So today I decided to go check out Walden ponds in Boulder and get some fun pics to blog about. Dogs are allowed at Walden ponds but they do have to be on leash. That is not fun for either of us, so Hazel stayed home and got some extra sleep.

It was a chilly 24' when I got to Walden ponds. Brrrrrrrrrrr



There was still a bit of mist on the first pond....


I heard a familiar sound and soon realized it was the widgeons! They spend the summer up north and come down here for the winter. There were at least 50 or so in the pond. This is a male and female enjoying breakfast.



After seeing the widgeons, it got super quiet. Sure I heard a kingfisher, some sparrows and some geese. But no one was close enough to get pics of. I hiked around for about 2 hours enjoying the beautiful,brisk morning.
I decided to go see if the dipper was at 75th which is right up the road from Walden ponds.
As I drove out of Walden, I noticed a large white object. So I pulled over and soon saw it was a young pelican! And as a bonus, it was a sweet reflection pic, my favorite!





Notice the reflection of the snow covered mountains?




Here's the mountains that were reflected with the pelican.



After enjoying the pelican, I stopped at 75th St to look for the dipper but no luck.
So I decided to stop by Pella Crossing on the way home. Pella Crossing was decimated during the 2013 floods and finally opened up last month. It can get crowded there on weekends but it was pretty quiet this morning. So I checked out some of the trails. 
I did see some wood ducks but they weren't in a good place for pics. But the views were spectacular!

This is Mt Meeker and Long's Peak! 


 Well, it was pretty quiet as far as photographing wildlife but still a gorgeous day to be out and enjoying Nature!
Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment