Friday, February 2, 2018

It's Owl Season



          Yea! It's officially owl season! Cher is on the nest! And there was a very interesting turn of events. 
My owl friends, Sonny and Cher chose a new nesting site last year after using the same nest for about 8 years. So I figured they'd use the new nest again this year but instead they moved back into their old nest. I was curious as to why, so as I drove to Boulder I checked in with Cher......
Here's what I got: 
                             She said the new nest was too sterile and cold feeling. Makes sense as 
                             they had moved to the golf course which is very manicured.

                             She missed having us humans around enjoying them raise their young.

                             She felt the old nest area was better suited to keep an eye on the owlets 
                             when they left the nest.

                              Very cool!

   I got to the nest area about 4:45pm. I couldn't tell if Cher was on the nest as it's much deeper than in previous years. But after a minute or so, I heard Sonny hoot and Cher answered him from deep in the nest! So I knew she was home!!!

It took a bit but finally spotted Sonny sitting high in one of their favorite trees.......



Myself and a few friends were enjoying listening to the owls hoot back and forth. Then just as it was getting dark, Cher decided it was time to take a break from sitting on her nest.




She flew along the creek to an overhanging branch where Sonny met her for a brief mating session.


Then she flew closer to us and landed on a branch.....we all appreciated and understood she was honoring us with her presence and was happy to see us!

Oh yeah, it's gonna be a fun owl season! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment